I have had these two yellow Eames fiberglass chairs by Herman Miller in my garage for over two years, it was time to do something with them. I did a lot of research about removing the foam and glue that was under the naugahyde. It seamed like there was a lot of mixed results when people attempted this, some said it was easy and others were reduced to using grinders and sanders to remove the old foam and glue from the fiberglass shell. I figured it was my turn to give it a try. click “READ MORE” to find out how I did.
Sorry about the lack of post today, I was working on these last night. More to come.
I was hitting up my usual thrift stores and rounded a corner and my heart dropped for two seconds, but then disappointment set in. This particular vintage Eames wanna-be was made by Selig and was in a world of hurt. The finish on the wood was really bad, so bad that I walked away but I quickly turned around not really having examined the vinyl the first time. I was surprised to find that it was in pretty good shape. I figured I would give a shot at rehabbing this thing.
I started by taking the whole thing apart.
Jim Cull recently send me a project in the Highlands neighborhood of Denver that he has completed which consisted of taking an otherwise unwanted cinder block cube and making it modern with a complete renovation and addition. The all white color pallet let’s the unassuming interiors feel large and spacious. I think it would be a total blast, well and pain to do a project like this. Make sure to check out the before picture.
Some of you may remember that a few months back we got a new sectional which in some ways threw off a couple of things, one of them being our rug made from Flor carpet tiles. It seems like we have always had Flor in some part of our house, as a result we have a stockpile of different styles laying around. In the before picture (first pic) you can see that we used a gray wool mixed with a few smaller accents of yellow. We decided to get rid of the yellow and go with an orange. We had some longer shaggy gray wool tiles that we decided to mix with the shorter. I messed around with a few different designs, Make sure to read the rest to see what we did.
I am really going to try and share more of my smaller and larger projects this year. Last year really got away from me. We recently got a new sectional and the two lounge chairs that we had just didn’t work with it. We thought that a bench might work well and look nice. With this bench I was willing to actually spend a little more money than “hope to find a good deal at a thrift store”. On eBay I found a seller that was selling a pair of chrome and leather benches, the price for the pair was fairly high. I asked the seller if they would sell just one, we agreed on a much lower price. When the bench arrived I was pretty disappointed (partly my fault). The bench had what appeared to be crayon or some type of colored wax particles melted into the top of the bench. You could also tell that the bench had seen some moisture and dirt which = smells! I did a few cleaning tests and decided to try and save it.