I was hitting up my usual thrift stores and rounded a corner and my heart dropped for two seconds, but then disappointment set in. This particular vintage Eames wanna-be was made by Selig and was in a world of hurt. The finish on the wood was really bad, so bad that I walked away but I quickly turned around not really having examined the vinyl the first time. I was surprised to find that it was in pretty good shape. I figured I would give a shot at rehabbing this thing.
I started by taking the whole thing apart.
You can see the finish on the wood shells were shot, I am thinking this chair was outside on someones deck.
Instead of using a stripper or remover to take the finish off I decided to just sand it off. What I discovered was oak, not the funnest wood to work with.
Completely sanded down.
I took the metal brackets to work and sand blasted them down to the metal then primed and painted them. I bought all new hardware for this project. With the bolts being silver I knew that would not look good against the wood so I also took the bolt heads, sanded, primed and painted them the same color.
The wood shells turned out quite light in color. I wanted them to be darker than the color of the cushions so I opted for a dark walnut stain. After the stain dried I applied a couple of coats of polyurethane to finish them off. I also gave the chrome parts the tin foil and vinegar treatment which quickly made the chrome look like new.
I think the chair turned out quite well, I really don’t have room for it so I may put it in my sons room or throw it up on Craigslist.